Google

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Crime Not Noticed!

It was a few years back; I visited Chennai and its Marina Beach, a memorable experience in itself. What could be a better way of relaxing in a summer evening than to take a walk along the sea-beach? I can remember the day as vividly today as I did on that same day. While I was enjoying my walk, I came across a young kid; he may be fifteen or sixteen years old. He was carrying a bag filled with some coral reef, star fish and sea-shell. He insisted me to buy some as a momentous. I was fascinated by the items in his bag and curious to see more. After a tough bargain over the price, I decided to by a piece of coral reef and two dried up star fish. The beauties of these items were irresistible. Back home they enhanced the beauty of my living room. They often reminded me of that day.

A few days back I learn some more details about coral, and the threats faced by it due to human activities. I did not know that the ocean took thousands of years to produce it so that countless number of other organisms could live with it in a symbiotic relationship. I have taken away a part of it and disturbed the ocean ecology. Like me, there are thousands and thousands tourist who might have taken it as a momentous. If all of us continue to fulfill our greed, it will not be long that the entire coral reef will be destroyed and eventually lead to a disaster in the ocean ecology.

I, now, realize that the kid was doing a crime, and I helped him to do more. I did not notice that I was involved in a crime against the nature. May be the kid did not know what he was doing just like I did.

Now the piece of coral reef in my living room reminds me of the crime every time I look at it and I suffer for the crime I committed.

I am sharing my story so that other should not suffer like I do.

No comments: